Re: plus 8 gearbox oil

To: emog <emog@lists.gomog.com>,
Subject: Re: plus 8 gearbox oil
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 06:12:37 -0400
George Dow wrote:

> Hi
>     John, thanks for the definitive on the Rover box lube, I have saved it
> on file, though you omit to determining whether there is a chance of gearbox
> damage under tow, or suspended tow, t`would be nice to know.  Almost poetic
> (-:
>
> Cheers,   George.

Hi George

To be exact the Rover Workshop Manual and the Morgan Manual with the car
indicate the following for the Rover boxes;

Type "G" ATF to M2C 33F or M2C 33G (Duckhams Q-Matic).  The earlier
models had a recommendation of Hypoid SAE 75W EP (refill) or SAE 80EP
(top-up only) to API-GL5 or MIL-L-2105B (Duckhams Hypoid 75-refill or
Type 'G" top-up only)

All of this translates that you can't go wrong with ATF Dextron III.

I would be very wary of witches' brews and additives because of the
integrated pump that George mentioned. The viscosity must be exact for
it to function properly. I had an ugly experience once when using a
synthetic oil with one.

Lastly, the dangers towing extended distances with this type of gearbox
should be respected.

Lorne

///
///