Re: Wheel studs (Remake)

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel studs (Remake)
From: SDviewpnt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:15:02 EDT
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who responded regarding my query on a solution for longer
Morgan front wheel studs.  After a lot of discussion and a far amount of
review, I'm leaning toward remanufacturing a longer stud (front only) for my
car.  My concern over modifying the original hubs and drums has outweighed my
concern over making the part from scratch.

To that end, I've found a machine shop here with experience in this area
(they've made one offs for racing Porsche) that immediately understood the
requirements of strength, hardness and the dreaded Whitworth thread issue.
They will use an aircraft grade alloy, heat treated before machining and
expect them to exceed Grade 8 when done.  I want to make the wheel side
longer by 3/4" from the current length.

My question to the list is whether anyone would like to participate in the
production run?  It's obviously cheaper on a per unit basis to make more than
the 8 pcs I'll need.  I have a NEW Morgan stud and both backside nut and lug
nut for the shop to use as the guide.  The new studs will utilize original
(NEW) nuts (not provided).

A few concerns were voiced regarding liability.  I am doing this for myself
and making the opportunity available as a community offer on a cost basis
only.  I accept no liability except that they will be as Morgan configuration
and will be at least as strong as were the original Morgan studs.

Please note that this is for a '56 Plus 4, so, for those that are interested,
your car needs to use the same configuration.

Please let me know off list ASAP as I'll need to get them moving for a
personal deadline.  I can relate cost as soon as I get some idea of quantity.
 If you have any questions or comments, I'll be intersted as well.

Regards,
Steve Dreiseszun
Phoenix, AZ
'56 Plus 4