Tech tip on doors

To: "morgan list" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech tip on doors
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:18:11 -0600
I just finished writing Ken Miles who is also doing a DHC restoration. One of
the things I  Told him about was a  little  bit I found at the hardware store
which solves a problem I have had several times. Thought I'd share it with the
list.

 The rubber 'D' blocks are attached to the door with number 4  wood screws. A
major problem is having the screws break off when attempting to install  or
remove the 'D" block. This can be a real problem since the blocks must be
installed in exactly the same place and you now have a broke screw where you
need a hole.
At the local hardware store I found some Brass wood inserts which are
basically a brass dowel with heavy wood threads on the outer side and a
machine screw thread on the inside.  There is a slot on the head so you can
screw the insert into the wood and attach the rubber D blocks with  # 4
machine screws . If you should happen to break a screw you can still unscrew
the insert and replace it.
For a few cents apiece they sure do save a lot of frustration .
These inserts would work well in other places which use wood screws, The wood
threads on the insert are large and would appear to have a better bite that a
regular wood screw. Since you have to drill a larger hoe for the insert,  they
would work well  where a wood screw has stripped out.

Bob Nogueira