Re: Broken Sub-Frame

To: "Don Sforza" <djsforza@snet.net>, "Morgans" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Broken Sub-Frame
From: "John Bigler" <jbigler@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 20:18:51 -0700
Hi Don,
Having just completed the replacement of the front subframe on my '48 Series
I 4/4, I can confirm that the removal of all the bits that are mounted
through the subframe, aligning of the new subframe, and drilling of all the
holes when remounting the removed bits is a time-consuming job.
Much of the time required, though, is due to repairing and replacing the
various imperfections that you discover along the way...  things that
probably were good enough but "now's the time to do it, since I've already
got the adjacent parts removed and out of the way".
Actual aligning of the new subframe shouldn't be too difficult with the
wings in place, provided you remove the exhaust so you can get an accurate
measurement from the lower lug of the subframe to the bolt that mounts the
front of the rear leaf spring on same side of the car.
Still, you'll like the end result.
Cheers,
John Bigler