Parts-new or restore?

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>, Linda Eckler <morganspares@taconic.net>
Subject: Parts-new or restore?
From: Jerome Murphy <rowingmurphy@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:15:10 -0500
Linda Eckler's reply to the thread on gas tank repair brings up a point that
many of us would do well to consider. New parts are often a better and less
costly option than restoring the old ones or having them custom fabricated.
The factory has learned a thing or two in the past forty years about making
parts that last!

Today's Morgan customer is willing to invest in more expensively made and
thus more durable parts. In the 50's and 60's I think the watchword around
the factory was to get the cars built as inexpensively as possible, with the
expectation that the owners were going to flog the hell out of them anyway.
Most cars rusted through in a few years here in New England, so why should a
Morgan be any different? One reason why a simple little 4/4 of today costs
dramatically more than its predecessor in constant dollars is that there's
value added in the componentry.

In restoring my car, I found that most of the chromed parts were available
new for much less than the cost of replating the originals. I replaced all
the sidescreen knobs, bonnet latch knobs, front grill, headlight trim rings,
+4 cowl badge and bumper blades. I passed on the dull and pitted but sort of
serviceable old stuff to a few fellow Morganeers who happily used them as
is.

Thanks, Linda, for helping to make it possible for us to keep these little
beasties on the road!

Jerry Murphy
'67 +4 6676

--