Alloy fender reinforcement/bulkhead brace for racing

To: morgans@autox.team.net, emog@lyris.dundee.net
Subject: Alloy fender reinforcement/bulkhead brace for racing
From: deemi@juno.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:35:39 -0400
I have a question on an oddity found on Super Sports 5381 and perhaps
other Morgan racers (ie Baby Dolls).

she had endurance setups on her from the factory, with enlarged 20 US/16
imperial gallon tank dual fillers and dual bendix electric pumps

etc.

it also had the upper cross axle brace.  (see the Cuthbert Twilly
article)

I now have two questions I hope to find out if these were modifications
also.

I have a reinforcement in a one inch wide strip folded over and welded
insided the alloy rear fender, its not just at its back brace but goes
around, as seen on the front fenders, I have not seen this on the other
SS cars I have looked at.

the other item is the bulkhead brace, it goes inside the top bulkhead
area and runs from the top right bulkhead bolted through the wood frame
as well then runs to the other side of the car inside and drops down by
one or two holes .  It attaches through the bulkhead with a bolt on each
end which also goes through the full width tool box.   its a hammered
flat at each end about 1 inch tube of metal alot like the upper cross
axle brace

I assume the bulkhead brace was for stiffening up the car there, and I
have found this on other SS cars, such as Dave Neilsons SS he kindly
drove down 3.5 hrs to show me here in Bangor Maine from his home up in
New Brunswick, his is a very nice car and a Nice Gent. Gave me a ride
even!

I have a picture of the brace and of the inside of my fender for those
interested

thanks for taking a look!

Bob Bowie in Maine
Morgan SS 5381