Assistance?

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Assistance?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:47:43 -0400
Thanks for all the inputs about the Morgan Assistance list.  I'm supprised
that we don't have one.  But then with emog and the number of people on
line, I guess all we have to do is ask. - Just getting to a computer when
you're broke down may be tough. :)

If anyone cares - here's the kids progress:

The left Cinciniti on Monday.  I told them to check all the fluids every time
they stopped.  Well Tue. night I get a call about 8pm EDT. that the oil gauge
was flucuating all over the place, and the eng. was making all kinds of noise.
I asked them if they'd been checking the fluids, and was assured they had.  I
asked if they'd checked the oil after they stopped, and again was told they
had.  I told them to park it, and call a wrecker.  That it may not be fatal
yet, but if they drove it, it would be.  So they got towed to Oakley, KS and
spent the night in a hotel.  The next morning they got up and walked to the
shop.  Told someone there what had happened.  The fellow went out and checked
the oil.  The dip stick was about dry.  He put almost 4 quarts of oil in
started the eng. and all was well.  Don't know where the oil went.  So they
continued on their journey.

The next night (wed.) I got a call from them - now in Colorado Springs, CO,
the oil gauge was fluctuating but not wildly like it had.  When they slowed
down the needle fell, but not to L and when they speed it would go up, then
settle down.

I proceeded to tell them about the oil pump being run by the crank or cam
and as the eng. speed up the pressure would go up as the pump was pumping
more.  Also about temp, and viscosity.  Keep in mind these boys are 21 and
25.  They both have driven this van for years, and I know I've told them
this several times.  They just didn't care, at the time.  Now they had a
vested interest.  Like continuing on their adventure and getting home.

They also said that the over flow bottle was leaking.  So they'd pulled into
an auto parts store looking for one.  I told them all they'd have is generic
and they'd either have to go to the dealer or a junk yard.  But while they
were there, to get some epoxy and clean off the bottom of the overflow tank
and try the epoxy.  They did, it's holding.

They also were talking about loosing the brakes coming down the mountains.
So I told them this was normal.  Then needed to get slowed down, go slower,
and use a lower gear.

They spent a day or two at the Grand Canyon - which I've only seen from
35,000 feet, and no cell phone coverage.  Needless to say, Mom was worried
why they didn't return her calls.

They are now at Circus Circus Hotel in Las Vegas.  They plan on spending
another day or so there, then heading off to San Diego.

So it sounds like they are having fun and actually learning that dad wasn't
nuts all those years.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic