bummer update (2)

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: bummer update (2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:43:21 -0500
Hello all.  Hope everyone had a great New Years!

Just got back from my dad's and working on the Morgan.  We pulled the head
Jan 2nd. and started cleaning the valves.  So today, we had a few more things
to do to her.  We tried to rock her to see if the eng. was free.  No go. I
squirted some more PB-Blast into the cylinders and then we pushed her out of
the garage and draining the gas tank.  That was fun. Luckily there is a plug
in the bottom of the tank.  Unfortunately, last time I had the tank hot
tanked
and lined, they didn't clean out the drain hole.  So I pulled the plug, and
nothing came out.  Boy we sure ran her close to empty I thought. :)  Then
tried to stick a drift into the hole and found I couldn't.  After driving a
nail up into the tank through the linine, then a bolt, and finally a couple
of drill bits on the end of a pair of visegrips, I got the hole opened up.
I guess I only drained about a cup or 2 of old gas out of the tank.  So we
hadn't driven it completly empty, but pretty darn close.  Next we pulled the
fuel lines from the pump and drained them.  They seemed pretty clean.  Pulled
the fuel pump and cleaned a lot of crud out of it. Then we finished pulling
and cleaning the remaining valves on the head.  It was starting to cool down
as the sun was starting to set and we started cleaning up all the tools we
had
scattered around and pushed the Morgan back into her stall.  Dropped her in
4th gear, and decided to rock her back and forth again.  All of a sudden, to
our supprise, I saw the fan blade turn.  Or at least I thought I did.  Dad
said, "did you see the pistons move?"  I said, "no, but I saw the fan turn."
We pushed her a little more.  Sure enough the pistions were going up and down.
We pushed her around enough to get each piston to go to the top of the
cylinder.

Boy were we happy.  So we quit on a very happy note!!!

Now I've got to check my spares and see if I've got a headgasket, if not, I'll
have to order one this week.  Maybe a few other parts too.  But the engine
is now free again!!!

So hopefully, we'll have her fired off in the next couple of weeks depending
on the weather.  No heat in the garage, and it really gets cold in there.

So my New Year is starting off right!  Hope you alls does also.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan