Re: Over Heating

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Over Heating
From: Nelson & Linda Warner <lnwarner@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:45:55 -0400
John,
I always keep the thermostat in and run with a 160 degree radiator cap.

1. The plans for the scoop are in Cuthbert's "A yank at Malvern" page
52-53.
When I made mine I did a gentle curve where the bend is and rolled the
edges over a .25 diameter aluminum rod. Pictures available next week.

2. I used rubber stock and glue to seal between the scoop and the
radiator. Pack foam rubber between the radiator and the cowl. Seemed to
help.

3. Tried the dam but wasn't impressed.

My electric fan is mounted in front of the radiator, behind is better
by about 17%. Better still if you can fit a shroud. New radiators work
better than old ones, I can't prove anything but it seems that if they
have been dry for years they just don't transfer heat.
Of course you can also run a higher pressure cap, boiling point goes up
3 degrees F per pound. I also have a recovery bottle that gets rid of
the air pocket that +4's seem to have.

Nelson
The road goes on forever ...