[Morgans] Finally Drove her

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: [Morgans] Finally Drove her
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:47:46 -0400
Hey gang,

Well, I've finally managed to put about 10 mi. on my Morgan without being
towed home.  I took her out 2 weeks ago and got about 3/4 of a mile from
home and she died.  Turns out that the 6mo old gas gummed up the fuel
pump valves and she wasn't getting any fuel to the carb.  So I filled up the
float bowl with fuel and managed to make it back to 1 house away from my
dad's where she's stored.  Filled up the float bowl again and managed to
get her into the garage.

The next day, I drained the 3 gal. of old fuel out, cleaned out the fuel lines,
carb, and cleaned the pump.  Went and bought about 4 gal of new gas, and
put it in.   Went to fire her up and take her for a ride, getting
ready to take
her to our local AACA.  Now she was backfiring through the carb, and didn't
want to start.

I went to check the timing.  When I pulled the #1 plug to find TDC, I found
she had no compression.  Pulled the valve cover to find the #1 intake valve
was sticking open, and very slowly closing.  So I pulled the rocker pedistal,
and pluged the compressor into #1 cyl. to hold the valves closed.  I removed
the valve spring, and squirted some PB blast on the valve stem.  I
tied a piece
of wire to the valve stem so I wouldn't drop the valve, and tapped the valve
lightly with a hammer.  She went down but without the spring I couldn't get
the valve back up.  So I carefully pryed the valve back up with a pry bar.
Hit the valve stem with some more PB blast and tapped it down, pryed it up.
After repeating this several times the valve started to move a little freer.

I put the valve spring back on, remounted the rocker pedistal, removed all
the spark plugs, set the valve clearence, and spun the engine over on
the starter.
The valve started working.   I reinstalled the plugs and tried to
fire her.  She
didn't want to start.  So I started playing with the timing until she
fired.  Then
I put a timing light on it, and got the timing set.  I'd replaced the
points with
a pertronix electronic ignition module last year and never re-set the timing.

So Monday a week ago, I managed to take her out for a test run.  Drove her
around the neighbor hood about 3/4 of a mi. in either  direction of my dad's a
couple of times.  Then actually got on to a real road and went about 2 mi. and
back.  She'd also had a history of overheating.  All seemed well.

So today I took her out for a 3 mi., one way, run to lunch with some friends.
Made it there and back and she stayed under 95C!  So maybe I've got the
gremlins out of her finally.  Now if I could just find a way to keep
the gas from
going to pot in a few months.  I've tried Stable with no real
success.  This time
I put some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the gas tank.

I just really have to drive her more.  Hopefully that will happen now!

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic