[oletrucks] carb solution!!!

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] carb solution!!!
From: soundex@eden.com (craig k)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:03:43 -0600
Mac Kinghorn gave me some pointers on what to look for on that crappy,
floody carb I was screwing with; he suggested that I check for warpage
('curvy, rounded' style versus squared-off and stronger style) and jet
size, among other things. Grant G. also suggested I double check the needle
and float.
Thought I might forward my post to Mac to you all for potential amusement....

Mac wrote:

>On the older carb, the ones that warp you will find
>that the top of the carb were it meets the barrel is rounded down to the
>edge of the top were it contacts the float bowl.  It is also rounded down to
>the front of the car were the fuel inlet line goes into the top of the carb.

Both of ours are of the newer, square version - I know this because I
decided to buy a NEW carb today, and the parts store down the block from me
had some  (OLD company, many antique parts around...)
Sadly, this Holley rebuild had a ROUNDED top!  So did all the other ones. I
passed.
I went home, rebuilt the 'spare.' Found a few things.
One: the main jet of the whacko carb was a 58!!  The carb I was rebuilding
had a 51, thankfully.
Two: the power pump assly on the first carb had a tube with a slotted tip;
the second had a solid brass rod. The little ball-in-the-hole jobbie  that
these parts connected to were different, too. First had a slot cut in that
little tower, brass nut that contains the spring was longer. Second one had
no slot.
Third: I suspect one of my problems WAS related to swapping carb tops;
obviously the two had slight, but significant differences.

Grant had mentioned junk in the gas making the needle stick open, so while
I was at my FLAPS, I had them dig around for a fuelpump with a bowl and
filter - the filter was a brass screen, thus my earlier post (btw, most
replies indicate that the brass screen should be fine). Not only did they
find one (AC Delco), it was only $20!

Also,  when I rebuilt this 'newer' carb I accidently put a gasket on the
needle seat that was too thick, forcing it shut almost all the time; no gas
was getting in to the carb bowl til I figured it out.

Car seems to run JUST a little rich yet - I'll try and find a # 48 jet -
but doesn't spew gas, idles REALLY nicely now.

Thanks for the help!

craig
caretaker of
stephanie's 50 3104 216 5-window deluxe