[oletrucks] paint question

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] paint question
From: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 14:07:46 -0600
I am about to paint my 49 3100 Cape Maroon, which was an original color.
It is possible to purchase this paint through Jim Carter and some of the
other vendors, but I also called a local auto paint shop, and this is
where the confusion starts. I gave the guy at the paint shop the Duco
number (SM-681-A), and after a while he tells me that there is an almost
exact color match offered on the 99 model Chevy's, and since it was so
close, why wouldn't I want to use that color in a base coat clear coat?
I really couldn't give him a good answer.
I did not build my truck as a show truck, but up to this point it has
basically turned into one. It is all original, and I am sure that I will
be entering it in local shows as they come around. My question is this:
will using a base coat clear coat take points off during judging, or is
there even a big enough difference between the 2 types of paint (new vs
old) to tell? The guy at the shop tells me that base coat clear coat
will look like a highly polished lacquer (not to mention last much
longer, be more chip and fade resistant, etc.), and will really turn
heads.
What would ya'll do?
TIA
Brad