[oletrucks] 49 3100 - either you wrench or you pay

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 49 3100 - either you wrench or you pay
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:05:33 +0000
Hi Steve:  seems like $3000 would be a fair price for a deluxe model
with some small problems - the question is: what is going to pop up
after you buy it???

There is no way around wrenching if you want classics.  I love
grease!!!   Miq is right - for the money you save by doing things
yourself - you can outfit your shop handsomely (hey, we all ought to
send pics of our shops in).  The real benefit to wrenching yourself
is that when the classic vehicle breaks down (which it will like any
other car - although new cars will never last 50 years+) you just
yank the ole toolbox out of the bed (or trunk - right ya'll?) and fix
her right up. After a while, you will become intimate with your
classic and know what potential problems might be lurking and can
pack your box accordingly.    This is the joy of classics - it's a
true love relationship. It is actually fun sitting in some old town
waiting for a part.  Plus you meet cool people - it kind of feels
like the old days.  I dig it.

I found the coolest swimming hole in Telegraph, Texas while waiting
for a pair of driveshaft clips (I waited 2 days for a $6.00 part!)
Now I keep a half dozen in the box and can rip that closed driveshaft
open in minutes with my eyes closed (really!).  And we go back to
that swimming hole every chance we get.

 So, IMHO a deluxe 3100 with some small problems should be in
the $3000 range unless it is cherry.  Grab a hemmings and compare.
Eric Pesci