Re: [oletrucks] Airbags vs coil-overs vs ???

To: "Steve Bobst" <mailman@netins.net>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Airbags vs coil-overs vs ???
From: "Bob Welch" <rwelch@ionet.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:18:12 -0600
I have considered this change myself.  However, there is a
difference between air bags and air springs.  I imagine an
air bag could be used to supplement an existing spring just
as air shocks do - and this might be what you want to do.
The air spring, which is gaining popularity, allows one to
raise or lower the vehicle perhaps 3-4" from the ride
height.  Take a look at Air Ride Technologies
(http://www.airride.com/).  Air springs generally replace
the existing leaf or coilover shock.  My 56 has been
converted to IFS using coilovers and I am thinking about
changing to the air spring.  The current springs on my
Carrera Coilovers are 450 lb and they are too stiff - but
its ride isn't as nice as I would like.  Choosing spring
rates and understanding how they relate to spring length and
diameter (and wire diameter) plus the length of the shock
for the particular application can be very tricky (probably
not so much so for the rear).  In my case, because of the
design, going to a lower spring rate means I might not be
able to adjust the coilover spring enough to get my bottom
control arm parallel to the ground before I experience
spring bind.  So these are some of the reasons I am looking
at the air springs.  Since I haven't yet replaced my
original rear leafs, I will consider the air springs for it
as well.  Like everything else they are not inexpensive,
parts alone can cost about $800 for the front up to $1200
for the rear (includes a triangulated 4-link).  Its been
awhile since I was on Air Ride's page - they include pricing
info.  Seems to be a lot of testimony that they provide a
superior ride.

Bob
56 Cameo
55 Belair