Re: [oletrucks] Patricks

To: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Patricks
From: Joe Clark <jclark1@utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:08:49 -0500
Smokey:
Well, if you want to change to a 5-speed, there is not a bolt-in alternative
so you'd need to do some fabrication.  A lot of people are going to later
model rear ends with open drive shafts (maybe 56 or 57?) and saginaw
transmissions, but I don't know if that is a bolt-on operation.  Since you
have a long bed, I'd say it's going to be harder to find a substitution.  In
the article on Patricks, they talked about a mount he sells that allows you
to use a later 4-speed saginaw transmission (say a '55) with your torque
tube.  That, coupled with a 3:55 ring and pinion should help considerably.
I'm no expert on 3600's so I'd talk to the folks at Patricks to see if there
are any differences you'd need to know about.  I was aware of the 3:55
gearing but not the tranny converter.  The only complaints I've heard about
the 3:55 is that the torque falls off but, according to the article, the
tranny substitution helps rectify that.  Any other opinions from the group?
Joe
50 3100