Re: [oletrucks] T-5 Transmission 5-speed

To: Gerry Deibert <gerryrd@verendrye.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] T-5 Transmission 5-speed
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:41:01 -0500
 Here are some tips from my T-5 installation. I see a couple of requests
for this info. I apologize to those who have seen it twice already. I tried
to look for it in the archives myself and could not find it.
   Use a T-5 from a S-10 or  use a S-10 tail shaft. This puts the shifter
further forward than other T-5's. It comes out of floor about 7 inches
behind the original 4 speed. I used a shifter handle from an original
truck 4 speed and welded it to the T-5's shifter. I put a bend at the
bottom towards the firewall and back again. Looks good but has quite a
throw, about 10 inches total.  T-5's are only rated at 175 ft. lbs. of
torque so it may not be a good choice for a V-8, 302 or one ton you plan on
using for work. Mechanical speedo is a plus. Open drive shaft is needed and
the T-5 is a couple inches longer than the a Saginaw or Borg Warner three
speed.
  Installation requires some minor mods to the tranny. The input shaft is
longer, some of this length is is the pilot. Shorten the pilot section to
match the length of the original pilot section. I also drove the pilot
bushing in a smidgen further. The bearing retainer should also be shortened
to match the original tranny's retainer. It's bolts line up perfectly to
original bell housing but holes have to be reamed to next size. I suggest
trying the tranny with only the clutch plate (no pressure plate) and
flywheel installed to check the fit of clutch plate. Mine came to within
about .090 of running out of clutch splines to disengage from flywheel. I
read one article in the Twelve Port news where the author extended the
splines with a die grinder. Another option to this would be to grind some
of the splines off the clutch disc. I didn't find this necessary with my
clutch-flywhee combo. I used a 11 inch flywheel that had been resurfaced
and a clutch disc from a 84 Astro Van to match the fine splined input shaft
I had. Some tranny's have the more common 10 spline input shaft. Use
original pressure plate and throughout out bearing.
  My Chevy dealer supplied me with some info on gear ratio's. S-10 from 85
to 90 had either ML2 with 4.03 first gear or ML3 with 3.76 first. Both had
.72 OD. This code can be found on glove box or have your dealer look up the
bar code on the tranny. Different T-5's may vary on gear ratio's and OD
ratio's.

Grant 50 3100