Re: [oletrucks] continuing gas gauge problem

To: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] continuing gas gauge problem
From: "D. SLANEY" <ppm@dlcwest.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:22:03 -0600
Hi Charles,
                  When I had the sending units out of both my trucks, I just
put an ohm meter across the base (round part that screws hold down) and the
terminal for the wire going back to the guage. If the meter when reading
ohms varies when you raise and lower the float, the sending unit should be
ok. Also try a temporary wire from sending unit to the guage, if the guage
has voltage from the ignition switch, guage should function. I believe this
could be checked with the sending unit out of the tank as well providing you
ground the base of the sending unit. I think this unit needs to be grounded
when installed as well, Also ohm meter across guage terminals should show
some kind of resistance when no wires attached to them. A friend said he
checked his guage using a flashlight battery with wires attached to
momentary apply to guage terminals, I don't know if this is safe or not,
someone might have better idea.

Regards, Don
Regina Beach, Sask,Canada,
48American 3/4 &51 Canadian 1/2