Re: [oletrucks] guage restoration

To: "mike" <chevynut@usit.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] guage restoration
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob J.)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:36:05 GMT
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:38:26 -0600, you wrote:

>hello gang
> i am redonig a 49 gmc 100 and i would like to keep the oringnal guages in
>it but they are 6 volt and i am looking for some one to restore the guages
>and convert them over to 12 volt. any help would be appreciated.
>                                                          thanks
>                                                           mike wilson

Mike,

You might want to tackle this one yourself.  $10 buys you the refacing decals,
and bet my bottom dollar, that this is mostly what they need.  You can also get
new chrome bezels and glass and needles, etc..  As far as converting them to 12
volts, the only one that needs "converting", is the gas guage, and that does not
need "converting", but rather simply placing a resistor in the wire going to it.
This project should be one of the easier ones you will face, and doable for even
the most wrench-shy among us.  All the parts are available from Chevy Duty (this
I know for sure), but also just about ANY of the many vendors.

Rob