Re: [oletrucks] Need advice

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Need advice
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 06:42:41 EST
Terry,

I'm in the process of buying the Craftsman 5hp, 60 gallon, upright standard
type (with oil) compressor.  It and the oil-less are made by Divibliss (sp?)
for Sears.  In going thru this exercise, I found out that the oil-less units
need to be rebuilt every 500 hours or so--probably more if the ambient
temperature is high.  I like the modular unit better anyway as it's easier to
replace parts if anything major fails.  If you can keep the oil and air filter
clean, they last longer too.

The only reason I went with Sears is because I was sitting on a hoard of Sears
gift certificates of ridiculous proportions and they start expiring this year.
Both your compressor and the one that I'm getting use motors that run at 3400
rpm; you would be much better off find one that runs much more slowly (1750?)
as this saves wear on parts.  The modern units bump up the speed to get more
cfm at the cost of operating life. . . .I guess the marketing guys figured
more power was more important. . .and we're not typical homeowner types if
you're doing a project the size of a truck.  Brian has a huge Divilbliss that
dates to the late '40's . . .it just keeps running. . .just had a few minor
rebuilds.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban
Knoxville, TN