RE: RE: [oletrucks] Long shot--parts wanted

To: "'Chevy Trucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: [oletrucks] Long shot--parts wanted
From: Richard Kinas <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:20:14 -0500
Hey Mark,

Here's the scoop on all the engine options. For a PCV setup using a 350
block, are you going to use a intake manifold with an oil filler tube? You
really need to in order to use original valve covers. If you want to be
able to add oil that is. No matter, it would be fairly easy to place a PCV
valve in a breather and run a flexible hose to the oil filler tube. Check
out what they did below.

1959 283 V8 Engines

Turbo-fire              185 hp @ 4600 rpm, 2 barrel carb, 8.5:1 compression
Super Turbo-fire (4B)   230 hp @ 4800 rpm, 4 barrel carb, 10.5:1 compression
Trademaster             160 hp @ 4200 rpm, 2 barrel carb, 8.5:1 compression
HD Taskmaster           160 hp @ 4200 rpm, 2 barrel carb, 8.0:1 compression
HD Super Taskmaster     175 hp @ 4400 rpm, 4 barrel carb, 8.0:1 compression

The Turbo-fire and the Super Turbo-fire had paper air-breather elements (
Large & flat )
like you would see in an automobile.

The Trademaster & HD Taskmaster had oil bath cleaners.

Only the HD Taskmaster and HD Super Taskmaster had PCV system. On the HD
Taskmaster,
the PCV system was a rigid piece of pipe coming out of the side of the oil
filler pipe, a couple of inches long. A flexible (rubber?) hose connected
this pipe with a pipe originating from the top of the oil-bath air
breather. The HD Super Taskmaster was similar expect the flexible hose
connected to the bottom of the air-breather. This air-breather was not and
oil-bath type. It looked small & fat like an oil-bath unit, but it had an
air funnel on one side like a regular breather.

All these motors came with forged cranks.

The Taskmaster had aldipped ( aluminum coated ) inlet valves.

The Trademaster and Turbo-fire motors had aldipped exhaust valves.

For those motors with no mention of PCV, It looks as though they had a
draft tube down the back passenger side of the motor. But I don't know for
sure.

1959 Chevrolet Apache      ____    3100