[oletrucks] My 51 GMC, where do I start?

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] My 51 GMC, where do I start?
From: "Tayrien, Richard" <rtayrie@chw.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:00:18 -0700
I love the dialogue on this list serve and had to jump in.

I have recently inherited our families 52 GMC ½ ton purchased new by my
grandfather for $1900 the year before I was born.  The whole family and all
of my friends used to love this truck.

We spent a lot hours sitting on the big front fenders and peering under the
hood trying to figure out how the engine worked.  I remember it quite well
when it was newer, it was beautiful.  Dark green (officially juniper green,
I guess) with a little white pin-stripe around the cab.  The wheels were
lime green with white baby moon hubcaps that had GMC in red across the
center.  It is the vehicle in which my brother and I learned I learned how
to drive at the age of 12 on the farm.  We actually had to pull on the
steering wheel and practically stand up to push that big stiff clutch pedal
all the way in.  It was the only pickup my dad ever owned and he used it as
work truck most of the time. Hauling rocks, building fence and I remember
helping him literally pull out two stumps with it.  My buddies and I in high
school used to throw an old row boat in the back and head for the lake to
camp-out and fish.

Why is it that these old AD trucks are so appealing, they almost seem to
have a personality.  I used to attract more girls in the truck than my
buddies could in their Corvettes.  I can't believe it now but I had that old
truck up to 70 MPH on the highway once I almost feel guilty about it now.
Lots of memories.

It has about 56,000 original miles and is on its second set of tires.  It
has been chained to tree behind our house in Oklahoma and the wood bed has
deteriorated.  Lots of rust but the body still seems pretty solid still.  It
has not been started in about 10 years.  Both mom and dad are now gone and
we have to sell the house.  I want to bring the truck to my home in Phoenix
this summer and begin to restore it.

I have read Tom Brunwalls book and have been collecting information and
tools to get started.  All of the information I find seems to be directed
toward Chevy's.  Is there that much difference between a Chevrolet 3100 and
the GMC of the same year?  Should the paint schemes and parts be
interchangeable?  I realize I may be asking a lot of questions that have
already been answered by this group in the past so feel free to direct me to
previous answers.  Also any information on getting started and transporting
my truck would be appreciated.  I'm glad I found you guys!  Maybe I can send
some pictures as I get started, is that acceptable?

Thanks

Richard Tayrien
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Rtayrie@chw.edu <mailto:Rtayrie@chw.edu>