[oletrucks] Electrical problem?

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Electrical problem?
From: Brad Newman <bkn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 16:54:32 -0600
Can someone out there please help me diagnose the following problem:

I drive my 1940 1/2 ton (I know its a year early for the list, but its
the same as a 41-46) at least 3 times a week, and have never had a
problem. This morning, I drove it around town on a few errands, starting
it up and shutting it down several times. Anyway, I parked it and it sat
in the garage until just a while ago, when I went to start her up for
another spin.
As with my 49 3100, the 40 has a floor starter. When I turn the key, set
the choke and step on the starter, the engine turns, the horn will
sound, the lights will come on...............everything electrical works
except for the gauge cluster, and the engine will not start. Does anyone
have any idea what could have happened that would cause this? Nobody has
been in the truck, and I did'nt see any frayed or damaged wiring under
the dash.
I am a VERY novice mechanic, so if I am overlooking something obvious
please let me know (yes, I did turn the key). If you can help, it would
be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brad Newman

PS: the truck is all original if that helps.