RE: AAA (was Re: [oletrucks] My Not-So-Excellent Adventure)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: AAA (was Re: [oletrucks] My Not-So-Excellent Adventure)
From: "McNulty, Bob" <BMCNULTY@csuchico.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:40:14 -0700
Well I guess it may be regional.....

Last year my wife and I were hauling a 16 ft. covered trailer full of her
grandparent's antiques  in mid December (I know... foolish ...  but... )
with our '76 3/4 ton chevy van and in blue bird weather did a 180 on I 80 in
Wyoming in the middle of nowhere.  Luckily we landed in the median with no
damage to the contents and minor tongue damage to the trailer.  Literally 3
minutes afterwards the salt/sand trucks came by.  And with nothing more than
a CB radio we were able to get a trucker to call AAA.  The tow truck was
there in another 15 minutes and we were back on our way to the Tow Truck
operators garage.  Paid  $150 with a visa and got a receipt.  Got home and
took it to AAA and they cut a check for the difference between our
deductible and what we paid out all in time for the next MasterCard payment.

All in all an ok experience.

Really haven't got any junk mail and our car insurance is not with AAA, just
have the tow package and take advantage of the free maps.

As an aside.... we have been coast to coast (Chico Ca to Baltimore MD) 14
times in the OLE van, once hauling my wife's grandfather's 56 suburban.  Our
record is 53 hours and we owe it to Jolt cola, sunflower seeds, a large ice
chest of food and a little/lot of insanity.

bob in Chico