[oletrucks] An Axle Question and a Link

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] An Axle Question and a Link
From: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:38:23 -0500
Please excuse what is probably a dumb question. I am to the point of my
off frame restoration on my 1953 3600 that I am removing the axle
assemblies. This weekend, I was working on the front axle. Using a
breaker bar, a long pipe, and lots of liquid wrench, I broke loose the
eight nuts holding the 4 u-bolts connecting the axle to the springs.
Once I broke them loose, I removed the front wheels, put jack stands
under the frame and lowered the jack until the frame was resting on the
stands. I then put the jack under the axle and jacked it up slightly to
take any load off of the u-bolts. After taking off all 8 nuts I slowly
started lowering the jack, figuring the axle would drop away from the
u-bolts. No motion at all. My question is, is the axle just holding on
from habit or are the u-bolts pressed into the axle or is it just a
matter of corrosion and grease holding everything together? Am I missing
some other connection point? Should I get a big hammer and start beating
on the axle or is there an easier way?

Now to the link. I have been wanting to get pictures on my web site of
an old 51 (I think) that is slowly rusting away in the woods near my
house. This weekend, I finally got out and got the pictures. Check it
out at:

        http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/jeff/gallery/index.htm

Thanks
Jeff Nelson