Re: [oletrucks] Split rims BAD!!!!!!

To: dillo021@tc.umn.edu, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Split rims BAD!!!!!!
From: VIKINGHILL@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:34:40 EDT
I had a '53 3600 when I was 16 and it had 16" splits on it, the wheels are
the devil reincarnated. The lock ring was intended so you wouldn't have to
take the wheels to a store to mount the tire, just pop a special tool (kind
of a maddoc looking thing) under the rim, pop it up and boom, the rim came in
two! the only problem was the POP part.  When it poped, it POPED, hitting you
in the arm, head, ect...  I had to search and search to get some one to pop
them apart and that was a place that serviced tractor trailers (some of them
wouldn't even touch them!)  The guy said that he stood on the wheel when he
poped mine and it threw him off when it came out!  I have no idea if that if
that is the truth, the guy was prone to stretch things, but in this case I
tend to believe him.  So BE CAREFUL, if the bead around the rim of the wheel
is extreemly rusted, it will even be harder to get them out.

Even with the splits and the 3/4 ton status I wish I had kept the '53 as
parts for the '47-2 I have now, but I sold it when I was 17.
take it easy,
take care!
Casey
'47-2 "thriftmaster"