[oletrucks] How to "Hop Up" Chevrolet & GMC Engines

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] How to "Hop Up" Chevrolet & GMC Engines
From: Jeremy Eastman <jeastman@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 10:00:07 -0400
Got my 235 head back from the machine shop yesterday after crack repair and
valve job.  Got talking to the machinist about strategies for rebuilding a
spare 235 or 261 and he lent me a pretty neat book... "How to Hop Up
Chevrolet and GMC Engines".

This book's still in print, but a direct copy of the 1951 edition.. got
some great info on what was available for the Chevy straight sixes back
then and some good technical information on cams, pistons, etc.  The author
recommended the Chevy truck block for building.  Some really nice pictures
& explanation of chevy-six hi-po gear (probably pretty hard to find now,
but worth wishing for at swap meets).. Besasie & Roots superchargers;
Hilborn-Travers fuel injection; Nicson, Edelbrock, Tattersfield & Edmunds
manifolds...  I had no clue this stuff was available (at least then) for
the late 40's and 50's sixes.

This shop does a fair amount of work on Chevy sixes.. The machinist there
has really got me thinking about a roller cam & lifter set-up when I look
to rebuild my spare (whenever I get it).  (I'll put in a plug for them..
their prices are pretty reasonable and they're into the Chevy sixes.  Shop
is Jim Farrand Engines, they're located in Syracuse, NY, phone is 472-8708.)

How to "Hop Up" Chevrolet & GMC Engines
Fisher Books
4239 W. Ina Road, Suite 101
Tucson, AZ 85741