Re: [oletrucks] Driveline Help

To: <Woodred@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Driveline Help
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:32:47 -0400
Larry,

    Since the Saginaw 3-speed and 4-speeds are virtually identical except
for the additional gear, you could use the Patricks tailshaft on your
Saginaw, but his kit is designed for a 4-speed. IMHO, it would be a lot of
work and you would still have a 3-speed trans. Hooking up the column shift
linkage would be additional work, over and above the actual tranny
conversion. The 4-speed Saginaw would be a much nicer box, and they can be
had for about $100 hereabouts. No way to retain the column shifter with a
4-speed though.

    I installed the 3.55 gearset, and while it's a step in the right
direction, was still too much gear for comfortable cruising. You can achieve
the same effective ratio by going to a taller tire.

    The optimum setup (for me at least) is the 4-speed Saginaw, Patrick's
shifter, overdrive tailshaft and 3.90 rear from a '57 truck. The OD drops
the effective ratio to 2.73 on demand, but I can still use the 3.90 around
town.

Jack / Winter Park FL