Re: [oletrucks] Front Axle Shim - AD Truck

To: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front Axle Shim - AD Truck
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:22:16 -0700
It is an alignment shim that adjusts the caster. It could be that none was
needed on one side. When done with your front end work you should take the
truck to an alignment shop that does trucks. They'll know how to align the
axle for caster, camber and toe-in. It's not something you can do at home.

-Tom Allen
51  3800

At 03:28 PM 4/15/99 -0500, Nelson, Jeff - DTC wrote:
>I removed the front axle on my 1953 3600 last weekend. On the left hand
>side there was a wedge shaped shim between the axle and the spring.
>There was no shim on the right hand side. The factory assembly manual
>shows the shim. My questions:
>
>1. What is the actual function of the shim(s) (and if anyone says
>"they're to shim up the axle" I'll find you and make you suffer <grin>)?
>
>2. Is it possible that it came from the factory this way or was the
>right hand shim removed somewhere along the line in the last 46 years?
>
>3. If it should have shims on both sides, does anyone know of a source
>for these?
>
>TIA
>
>Jeff Nelson
>1953 3600