Re: [oletrucks] rear ends

To: "Brad Newman" <bkn@cyberramp.net>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear ends
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 23:14:10 -0700
If you are going to do some thing to improve the "cruise", I would
recommend an automatic with OD.  If you change just the rearend, you will
run into real problems when you are four-wheeling.  Your front and rear
gear ratios must match (or within .01, F#$d and D#$ge and IHC used to
miss-match there gear ratios front to rear by about .01 to help improve
"off road" performance, maybe a 4.11:1 on one end and a 4.10:1 on the other
I can't say for sure if it helped, but for the guys that forgot to "unlock"
when they hit the pavement it sure got expensive pretty quick) or else you
will do major damage to the drive train.  If I am remembering correctly,
the early 60's GM's were still running a "divorced" transfer case (T-case
and tranny are mounted separately, and not bolted together).  If this is
the case, it should be a relatively simple matter to change the tranny out
for a OD automatic, or a newer manual tranny with OD.  Good luck, I hope
this helps.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco