[oletrucks] task force fuel gauge connection

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] task force fuel gauge connection
From: Ryan Border <rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:08:48 -0600
Greetings-
  I'm about ½ way through the installation of my new (Haywire) wiring
harness on my 55 2nd.  I've gotten to the fuel gauge, and want to be sure I
do this right so as not to toast either the gauge or the sender.
  My harness has a continuous wire (marked "fuel") running from the
instrument cluster to the end of the rear harness; this is a generic
"hot-rod" wiring harness.  I think the way I should hook it up is:
1)      Connect hot lead to left (when viewed from the front) pole on the
gauge.
2)      Connect my "fuel" wire to the right pole on the gauge.
3)      Tee out the fuel line on the rear section of the harness, bring it
into the cab, and connect it to the center lead on the sender.
4)      Ground the other side of the sender to something solid.  Probably to
whatever it was grounded to before...

Does this sound right?

A 9V transistor battery would wiggle the gauge, but didn't give me the three
quarter tank reading I though it might.  Not enough amps to do the job I
figure.

Thanks-
Ryan.