[oletrucks] Cutting Bed Wood

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cutting Bed Wood
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 14:12:36 -0400
Just wanted to pass on my experience this weekend for those of you
tempted to cut your own bed wood. While the dims on the tech page are
close I found that your have to cut the two rabbits a tolal of .60 wide
or by the third board the sill holes don't line up. Also if you only cut
them 1/16 and 1/18 deep your bed strips will sit 1/8 high. I thought
this to be too high and as long as I was cutting them again, now on my
router table I went 1/8 and 3/16 deep which leaves the strips 1/16 proud
of boards.
  I intially balked at the price of kits and bought some white oak
planned one side form a sawmill and used the dims from the tech page.
$45 for the wood seemed like a deal until I noticed the wood varied in
thickness from end to end and board to board. I payed someone else to
plane again and being in a hurry asked them to rip boards and cut
rabbits with a dadoe blade to the dims on the tech page. Now I'm up to
$90 and start putting boards in. Get to third board and holes are
misamtched. Thats when I did rabbits again on my router table. The bed
looks nice but in retrospect this was a tough way to save $100.

Grant 50 3100