[oletrucks] Resto Update

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Resto Update
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:33:08 -0400
After a two year frame off resto of my 50 I have enough of it done so I
took it for a drive today before bringing it to the alignment shop
tomorrow. It's a basically stock looking truck with a few changes. I put
in a rebuilt 235 with a S-10 5 speed, 3.90 rear with open drive shaft.
Later bendix brakes with Kevlar composite shoes, straight axle with
teflon slides and after market sway bar on new 700 15 radials. Very
happy with it so far. It's no sports car but stops nice and corners flat
and my $75 T-5 works great, even my home made drive shaft which is knew
was a gamble. For anyone interested in the T-5 it's first gear at 4.03
is really not needed except on hills. I do like it for around the yard
or steep driveways but it's very short and 2nd starts it fine on flat
ground. 2nd third and fourth are spaced pretty even. I put it in 5th or
od and found the steepest hill in the area, hit the bottom at 65,
checking for drive shaft vibration :>) and was still doing 60 at the top
though I'm not really sure of the accuracy of the speedo yet. The teflon
slides seem to help with the ride but its hard to compare from two years
ago. Now I have to finish a few things like tailgate,  door windows, and
splash apron but found it hard to resist taking it for a ride to check
for bugs. Guess I've run on enough for now.

Grant 50 3100