Re: [oletrucks] What to put down

To: "Brinkman" <brinkman@warwick.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What to put down
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:19:37 -0700
I have always liked concrete or asphalt, but it tends to be "cost
prohibitive" most of the time (check your area, asphalt and concrete can
very widely in price, if you do the work yourself, it may not be all that
expensive).  At my parents house, I took some 2X4's and built a box (about
3' longer than the car, and about 6' wider), put some heavy black plastic
down under it, so water could run off under the edge of the box and the
gravel wouldn't be worked into the dirt.  I then filled the box with
pea-gravel.  It worked pretty well.  I didn't have too much problem with
moisture (NW Montana), but it made for a nice place to work on the truck
without rolling around in the muck, dirt and oil.  I got the idea from a
friend who had done his this way (he used 3/4"-minus).  The pea-gravel was
a lot more comfortable to lie on than the 3/4"-minus.  The only real
negatives that if found was the fact that you could loose tools and small
parts really easily, and a creeper will not roll on it.  My .02$ worth ;^)

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco