Re: Seville Differential??Re: [oletrucks] Re: What's theoriginal width o

To: "Wayne Osborne" <wcosborne@inetnow.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seville Differential??Re: [oletrucks] Re: What's theoriginal width of a '53 1/2 ton differential?
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:02:08 -0700
Some of the late 70's and early 80's Pontiac Trans Am's had a disc-brake
equipped, limited-slip 10 or 12-bolt installed under them (look for the
Turbo Trans Am's and some of the other pseudo high performance versions).
My brother is installing one under his 55/2 some time this summer.  He said
that the perches will have to be moved, but that the width is correct.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco

----------
> From: Wayne Osborne <wcosborne@inetnow.net>
> To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Seville Differential??Re: [oletrucks] Re: What's theoriginal
width of a '53 1/2 ton differential?
> Date: Thursday, June 17, 1999 6:58 AM
>
> I do recall one of the magazines stating that one from the late 70's
> seville would bolt right in, without moving the spring perches-but they
> were referring to a TF truck. Not real sure about an AD truck.  wayne
>

> At 01:14 AM 6/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >

> >Don,
> >I am probably going to get a late model rear end from the local
pick-n-pull
> >yard.  One thought that has crossed my mind is getting one out of a 1979
> >Cadillac Seville.  That particular model and year had disk brakes and
leaf
> >springs.  I was hoping it would just bolt in.  Has anyone tried this?
> >
> >At any rate, I do need some rear leaf springs.  Mine are recurved 80-90
degrees
> >about 6 inches from the rear-most shackel.  (Probably too many bricks by
the
> >previous owner.)  If yours are the std. 8 leaf springs for a 1/2 ton and
in
> good
> >condition (no leaves broken and not bent backwards) I'll be glad to pay
> >shipping.  I live in the San Jose area of Calif.
> >
> >Jon Elerath
> >Mgr., Reliability Engineering
> >jelerath@us.ibm.com
> >

> >dwshort99@gtemail.net on 06/16/99 05:18:49 PM
> >
> >To:   Jon Elerath/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
> >cc:
> >Subject:  Re: [oletrucks] Re: What's the original width of a '53 1/2 ton
> >      differential?
> >

> > ---- you wrote:
> >>

> >> Wally,
> >> Thanks for the measurements.
> >> I'm in California.....won't be very easy to get one to me.  What
manufacture
> >and
> >> vintage are they?
> >

> >Hi Jon
> >
> >Don't know if you are going to restore the truck or build it with later
model
> >suspension. If you plan to restore to original, I have the stock
torque-tube
> >rear end (closed driveshaft) off my 51 1/2 ton.
> >It should be the same as your 53. I am located in southern calif. if you
are
> >interested and want to come and get it, it is yours for the asking. It
is
> >complete with springs, I even have the spring mounts if you need them.
If you