Re: [oletrucks] What did I see?

To: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What did I see?
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 20:28:01 -0700
Sounds like you have a nice one!  I can't tell by the serial number, but I
would bet the motor is a 6-71 Detroit.  They are also known as "screamin'
demons" (all older Detroit Diesels v6-71, 8-71, 12-71, v6-53, etc.) and
other names due to the very distinctive sound that they make.  The older
Detroits are great motors, and will run nearly forever if you keep oil in
them.  The 72K on the truck is barely "break-in" mileage if the motor has
been cared for.  They are all two-strokes and this is what creates the
distinctive sound.  The blower is used to pressurize the crank case, and
the cylinder walls have slots cut into them.  When the piston comes down
past the slots, pressurized air rushes in to the cylinder from the slots
and forces exhaust gasses out the exhaust valves at the top of the
cylinder.  The piston comes up, pressurizes the air even more, fuel is
injected directly into the combustion chamber, the fuel/air mixture
detonates and forces the cylinder back down and the process starts all over
again.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco