[oletrucks] Pipe Dreams Dashed?

To: trks@javanet.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Pipe Dreams Dashed?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:20:07 EDT
        Grant put the kibosh on my hopeful dreaming:

        "This trans may work out for cruising with a 235 but is rated at only
175 lbs of torque. Keep in mind the trans will be the weak link if you plan
on working your 3/4 or one ton."

        A quick look at my handy-dandy Salesman's Manual for the '49 AD
trucks reveals that the 235 is rated at 192 ft-lbs of torque, clearly more
than the rated 175 ft-lb limit on the T-5. We all know of courageous
mechanical devices that perform far in excess of their design limits. Has
anybody had any experience with the T-5 trannie? Do they give any trouble in
"normal" applications? Has anybody heard how they do under heaver than normal
use?

Paul O'Neil,
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
Hudson29@aol.com