[oletrucks] Re: Fuel Shutoff Valve Packing?

To: Hudson29@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Fuel Shutoff Valve Packing?
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:18:32 EDT
In a message dated 06/22/99 10:07:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Hudson29
writes:

<<
        I just took mine apart, but missed seeing any packing in it. There
was some goopy stuff that might have been anything 50 years ago. Where does
the packing go, and how much do you use? If I ask at the hardware store for
"packing" will they know which I need? >>

Packing goes under the nut and keeps fuel from leaking down the valve stem
threads.  If you use too much you can't screw nut on,  too little  and nut
bottoms before packing makes seal.  Ask for valve stem packing in plumbing
section, and make sure it it compatible with gasoline.  some have chopped
teflon which should work well.  We used to wrap string with pipe dope in
there as a satisfactory seal.  If you screw nut too tight valve screw will
not turn, so be gentle on asembly.
Bob ADler