[oletrucks] S-10 5-speeds

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] S-10 5-speeds
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:04:01 -0400
Getting caught up on some threads, I noticed a caution on the S-10 5 speed
being inadequate for a 235 - not to worry. S-10's use the same T-5 for all
the current 4 cyl and 6-cyl applications and the torque rating is very
conservative. I know of at least one truck with a warmed over 261 and an
S-10 5-speed that has endured over 100K miles. Consider that the 235 torque
was measured as a gross rating under optimum conditions and no accessories
like fan, generator, mufflers etc. And the same transmission is used in
recent Jeeps behind a 4.0 inline six that puts out well over 200 ft/lbs of
torque.

If you're really worried about the durability of the S-10 5 speed though,
use a Camaro 5-speed with the S-10 tail housing to relocate the shifter. The
aforementioned Jeep tranny is a direct bolt-in too, even has the GM spline.
But the shifter is a couple of inches to the rear of the S-10 location, so
it may interfere with a bench seat.

Jack / Winter Park FL