Re: [oletrucks] How Do You Test a Gas Gauge Sending Unit?

To: Hudson29@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] How Do You Test a Gas Gauge Sending Unit?
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 22:24:25 -0400
It should be a smooth transition from 0 to 30 ohms on an ohmmeter. After driving
my truck for 10 K without one I was thrilled at the thought of having a working
gas gage on my newly restored truck. I finally wired in the resistor for 12
volts
and checked my gage as above. I installed it in the tank only to find the gage
doesn't come off empty. A resistance check with the gage in the tank reveals
about 5 ohms always. I had already replaced the float so assume the gear
mechanism is jammed. I use the mileage method before but did run out of gas
twice
before and don't want to repeat this. The mileage method is flawed if you
develop
a sudden problem that changes your gas mileage.

Grant - 50 3100 @ 256 miles per tank (I hope)