Re: [oletrucks] How best to get started?

To: apache58truck@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] How best to get started?
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:53:08 EDT
In a message dated 6/27/99 8:32:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
apache58truck@hotmail.com writes:

<< Hi Folks-

 Well, now that we've bought our 59 Apache Fleetside... cleaned it up (with
 soap & water)... climbed in, on and under it to check it out... taken loads
 of photos (for the project scrapbook)... and imagined and dreamed of things
 to come... what's the best way to get started in our effort to transform our
 bucket-o-bolts and rust into a street-worthy beauty?

 Keep in mind that there is no engine or transmission for us to deal with (at
 this time).  The bed floor is original wood... and is very... very poor
 condition.  The window glass is all original and in great shape, but we
 can't say the same for the rubber seals that hold the glass to the steel.

 We love this thing... but are... to put it mildly... very overwhelmed!
 Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

 Thanks in advance-

 K&B
 59 Apache Fleetside Longbed Project

  Hmmn,

  There's about a million different ways to start,  if you're just looking
for a driver, and only plan to renovate it, then I think I'd check over the
wiring real good, most likely replace it.
  Start with a good stemcleaning underneath, and all over.
  Go through the wheel bearing, check out the frnt suspension and take
appropriate action.
  Go through the brakes, and check out the whole system, lines, M/C, wheel
clinders and shoes.
  Check the ujoints.
  Flush out the rear end and refill it, better yet, find something with a
friendly highway gear ratio, even if you decide to go with overdrive, just
plan ahead.
  Basically do all needed electrical and mechanical stuff first, that way you
don't have to pussy-foot around a clean shiny truck when you're  working on
it.
  Once that's done, I'd pull the fender wells and sand  and paint them, paint
underneath the cab, etc, reinstall the fender wells and get that sucker ready
for a motor/trans combo.
  If you do all the work yourself, you should be into it for around 4-500 in
parts if you have to replace some stuff (not including the motor and tranny),
then get it running and enjoy it for a while.

  You'll have plenty of time to recover after you take it in for a paint
estimate.  No use getting discouraged in the beginning :)

  Mike