[oletrucks] Summer Vacation Truck Sitings

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Summer Vacation Truck Sitings
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:22:17 -0400
I just got back from my annual pilgrimage to Myrtle Beach, SC and as I
drove down and back I kept myself occupied by trying to spot ol trucks
along the way.  I take a rather rural route so it's not too hard to find.
I saw several carcasses of AD trucks here and there but all were to far
gone to do much with however I did see a couple of interesting finds.
One was a 55 or 56 panel truck sitting in a field next to a house on SC
route 38 between Hamlet NC and Bennetsville SC.  If you're familiar at all
with this area of the country I think you'll know where I'm talking about.
It looked like a pretty good starting point based on my highway
observation.  I would be killed if I purchased another one so I didn't stop
and inquire but I have a feeling it could probably be purchased for the
right price.
Another find was a AD truck..around a 52 I believe in Murrells Inlet SC.
It was sitting in the parking lot of a out of business restaurant -Inlet
Seafood, I think it was- just as you go into Murrells on old Highway 17
from Myrtle Beach. If you know the area it's right before you get to all
the seafood places in Murrells.
My aunt, who owns property down there, says it's been sitting there for a
while.  I stopped and looked at it and it had the usual problems...cab
corners rotted out. Driver's side rear fender was falling off...looked
unbolted.  There was another hood in the back too.  The front grill was
kinda rough and the the hood on the truck was sitting funny like it might
have been sprung or something. Still for those with guts it would be a good
project I think. It looked pretty much stock except for some nasty bucket
seats which would have to go quickly to the dump.
At any rate I enjoyed having a look at 'em and it made be anxious to get
back and tear into mine some more. :)
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck