[oletrucks] RE: PTO Winch Question

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: PTO Winch Question
From: sheldon <sheldon@ssmachine.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 06:34:42 -0700
  Kevin, Ed,

  Almost all truck type trannys have PTO capabilities. The drive unit
attaches where the sheet metal cover with 6 bolts in it is.  The output
shaft from the PTO unit points to the front, or rear of the vehicle.  It is
engaged by pusing in the clutch, and pulling a knob/cable arangment or a
lever to engage a gear of the PTO with a gear in the transmission. You can
leave the trans in neutral, or run the PTO while driving.  The PTO is
driven off of the countershaft, so it dosn't matter what gear the trans is
in.  Fitting this PTO unit to the trans should be a gasket and bolt on
affair. (very simple).  If you are running a tansfer case on a 4x4 you may
be able to attach the PTO unit to the transfercase, leaving  the Tcase in
neutral, and then selecting a gear in the tranny, to control PTO speed. If
you need the PTO unit that attaches to the trans, contact a local truck
parts supplier, many farm trucks use them for hydraulic lifts, other trucks
use them for pumps and such, I know a farmer that may have a few of them on
the shelf....When I worked there they had about 10 or 12 trucks with PTO's
(and some with 2) mostly 2 Ton thru Semi's.  Within the next 2 or 3 weeks
I'll try to get some pics of the PTO's and how they mount...

  Sheldon Schmidt "56 Napco 4x4