[oletrucks] Safety

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Safety
From: TENACT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 20:24:24 EDT
BMCNULTY@csuchico.edu writes:

<< Just hold
 the damn wire with your hand boy,  here let me show ya........  now turn it
 over." >>

I liked the story and I don't want to appear to be a party pooper, but be
careful.  The last thing you want to do is send this guy in ventricular
fibrillation and kill him.  Your heart is electric like the distributor, as
we get older (or have congenital heart conditions), shocks like this can kill
you.

On another note, a few weeks ago, right after the start of our shift, the
windows in the station rattled followed by a loud BOOM.  A guy was cleaning
his garage floor and home made paint booth with 4 gallons of paint thinner.
When the gas hot water heater kicked on, the entire 2 story house was lifted
off of it's foundation and set down 6 inches from where it was supposed to
be.  Lucky for him, one of the garage doors was open and he was damn near
blown across the street like the closed (other) door was.  Besides singeing
most of his exposed hair off, he was ok.  The medic that checked him noted a
seriously bruised ego.  He was VERY lucky.  His house wasn't.  From my days
as an investigator, I saw many an insurance company NOT pay for losses due to
unpermitted or illegal construction.  I wonder if the same thing will happen
to this guy.

I know some of you have borderline legal booths...be VERY careful, we don't
want to lose any of the good people on this list!

Lastly, as part of our training, we do case studies of emergency medical
situations.  One video that was sent to us for review was a case where a
gentleman in one of the southern states was working on his truck (unknown
type and year) when one of the fan blades broke loose and lodged in his neck.
 The film was rather gruesome and followed the guy's treatment from the point
the helicopter landed at the hospital until 3 weeks later when he died
(considering the severity of the injury, living that long, that's damn good
medical care!).  We had a fan blade discussion on the list some time ago.
Now that it is summer, be careful, where you stand when the motor is running.
 A little paranoia never hurt anyone.

Be Safe...

Skip Boylan
'55-2 Big Window Shorty