Re: [oletrucks] Driveshaft length

To: <MASK4335@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Driveshaft length
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:43:02 -0500
I would think that Wichita Falls, TX would have a drive shaft place. Look in
the
phone book. They can increase or decrease the length of the shaft and main-
taine the balance. You can have them install the ujoints at the same time
and
check for any defects. I had to have some added to my drive shaft when I put
in a new engine/trans/rearend. While it was in they actually cut my ends off
and put them on a heavy duty shaft from a bigger truck. This was partly
cause
I told them I was going to run a bigger engine. The other part is it was
easier
for them to build - I think they just had one with one end the right size in
the
bin and that meant only one cut/weld. In the end I was happy cause I got a
better shaft and felt lucky.

We have several axle/drive shaft places here in Tulsa you could use. When
you measure be sure to be explicit. For example, did you measure to the tip
of the
yoke fork or to the deepest part of the half moon where the ujoint rests.
Did you measure to the tip of the output shaft or the housing.  When I had
my drive shaft
lengthened I was asked to be very specific. That way it fit the first time.

Lonnie