Re: [oletrucks] Spark Problem

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Spark Problem
From: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 20:11:47 -0700

Hmm... electricity question; I enjoy answering these. You said you have 12
volts at the coil. Is this on the terminal marked positive? Should be. This
might be too obvious, but make sure the coil is not hooked up backwards.
Also, make sure the condenser is attatched to the side of the points that go
to the coil. On the negative side of the coil, you should have 12 volts when
the points are open and 0 (or very low)  volts when the points are closed.
If the negative side has 12 volts at all times, there is a problem between
the coil and ground. This could be caused by a bad wire between the the coil
and distributor, a bad strap between the points and ground, a dirty
connection, or dirty points. Sometimes new points have some sort of film on
them. Snap the points with a screwdriver or sand them with a piece of fine
emery paper.

Happy hunting,
Keith