[oletrucks] Noisy Hydraulic Lifters

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Noisy Hydraulic Lifters
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:19:18 -0400
I have my truck apart already with 3k on my newly rebuilt 235 because
it's lifters get noisy at highway speed. I'm told this is due to air
infiltration on the suction side of the oil pump. I pulled my pump out
and leak checked the suspect areas, threaded inlet tube, cover, and
relief valve bore. It seems to be the relief valve bore. The fix I've
read is to plug the end of the bore and drill a vent hole through to the
inlet. This is not possible with the '54 pump due to different
configuration. Anyone been down this road already and have any tips?
Also why didn't they have all these lifter problems in the '50's, or did
they?

TIA,   Grant 50 3100