Re: [oletrucks] 50 3100 rear end swap

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 50 3100 rear end swap
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:36:45 EDT
In a message dated 07/30/1999 3:14:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
RobXR250@aol.com writes:

<< what is a good rearend to put in a 50 3100, easy, correct width. also what
is
 involved as far as lining everything up correctly. i think that i also
 remember reading about a kit that helps you with this project.

Rob, I've answered this one several times, but have deleted those msgs from
my filing cabinet, so here it goes again.
On my '48 3100, I used a '84 Pontiac Parisienne rearend, with a Butch's Rod
Shop installation kit. This kit allows you to properly locate the rearend so
the tires will be centered in the wheel wells. Also, a magnetic-based angle
gauge is invaluable. With the engine and trans mounted, check the angle of
the transmission output shaft. The rearend should be at a complementary
angle, although I've read that some people give it a degree or so extra in
the downward direction to compensate for spring "wrap-up". Point is, get it
as close as you can before setting driveshaft length.
BTW, the rear I used is a bit narrow, but would have worked fine with 3"
backspacing on the wheels. I found that you can run 255/70R15's on 15x8
wheels if you get the backspacing right. Anything smaller would only be
easier.

Mike Jensen
'48 Deluxe Cab 1/2 ton