Re: [oletrucks] Tranny Crossmember - 53 3100

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, WR Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Tranny Crossmember - 53 3100
From: Alan Gingles <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:09:43 -0700
WR Teto wrote:

> I've got a question for those who've rodded their AD's (Dave Riffel,
> Lonnie, etc.).  My progress is as follows.  I have have the front IFS
> installed, as well as the new rear leaf suspension and posi rear end.
> I'm trying to drop an engine/tranny (small block/TH-350) in as one piece
> to locate the motor mounts and tranny cross member.  The cab is still on
> the frame, but all other body work has been removed.  It seems it is not
> possible to drop in this combination without interference from the stock
> cross member directly below the firewall.  The tranny will not fit
> through without hitting either the cab on top, or the tranny fluid pan
> on the cross member.  Did you guys have to remove this?  I could install
> the combination separately, putting the tranny in from below with a
> jack, and bolting it up to the block, but I'd like to be able to drop it
> all in from the front.  I could remove the cab, but then I'm sure I'd
> have to split the engine/tranny if I ever had to remove the tranny down
> the road.  I'd like to leave the cab on for now to see any clearance
> problems.  Eventually it will come off for the rest of the frame
> cleaning and painting.
>
> I have the new front cross member welded in for the IFS.  I'm
> considering removing that offending member, dropping everything in place
> and supporting the tranny with the standard bolt-up support as is used
> on modern GM cars and trucks.  Will this be sufficient enough to keep
> the frame from twisting?  It's currently boxed back as far as the
> firewall.  I don't see a big deal with the stock member removal.  There
> is still another stock cross member that is located back near where the
> tranny tail shaft will be.
>
> Any help appreciated.  I sure am exicted now that it is a rolling
> chassis and I can finally push it in and out of the garage.
>
> On another note, what did you guys use for steering column?  I was
> looking through the bone yard yesterday for a GM with tilt (no column
> shifter).  Guy there suggested maybe one out of a truck, Blazer or
> Suburban.  Was trying to avoid spending $$$ on one of those nifty Ididit
> steel or even aluminum ones...they are nice though!  I did have quite a
> few to pick through at my local junk yard.
>
> Wally / Templeton, MA
> 53 3100 rod project

Hi Wally,

I removed the stock x-member that runs under the bellhousing of my '48.
I left the rearmost trans mount in it's original spot, and used it to
bolt the Turbo 350 to. It placed the distributor(HEI) about 1 inch away
from the firewall. This also gave me the location for my front engine
mounts. Everything fit fine, but you have to trim the front lip of the
trans tunnel to clear the top of the bellhousing, and make a new trans
cover. Shouldn't be too hard.
I used the column from the '77 Pontiac I stripped, but it has a column
shift. Try finding a mid to late 70's Camaro/Firebird, they had floor
shifts.

Alan Gingles
http://www.nucleus.com/~agingles