[oletrucks] ATHS Shelton WA show (long)

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] ATHS Shelton WA show (long)
From: "Graham Nott" <thenotts@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:24:37 -0700
Well I just had to tell you that I went to the ATHS show in Shelton WA this
weekend.  Being new to this "sport" it was, what I consider, a great show.
Lots of old (very) and new (1979!) rigs.  Milk trucks to logging trucks.
There was a row of chain drive Macs that I was impressed with as I had never
seen one up close.

I am a very new member of the ATHS and everyone I met, especially the ladies
at the check-in trailer, were very friendly.  The dues are not steep and I
encourage folks to join if you are not already a member.

Now the excitement. . .  I have at home, in my garage, in pieces, a 1946
1-1/2 ton (Art Deco) dump truck.  I had (have) great dreams for this rig and
have up to this point spent about $22,000 on the restoration (**gulp**).
Long story short. . . the fellow who charged me the bulk of this money (who
shall remain nameless, in Puyallup WA, but I have seen his company mentioned
on this list!) LOST a bunch of the front end parts. . .The leafs, shackles,
etc etc are missing.  Of course he wants me to bring it back down to him so
he can fabricate the parts (and no doubt charge me another $20,000).  Well
guess what I found at the Shelton show?????  The exact duplicate of my truck
in pretty rough shape for $1700!!!  I couldn't resist.  The PO even had the
parking light lenses (real tough to find) and the "trafficator" turn signal
(probably impossible to find) and a set of next-to-new tires (very oddball
size I am told).  OK so I bought the truck intending it as a donor vehicle,
even though it runs and drives (pretty well actually).  Minor glitch
however. . . my wife, who attended the show with me, says "well now you have
the patterns, couldn't you have the parts that you need made and then. .  .
I could have the truck that you just bought?"  I was flabbergasted!  Didn't
think she shared my enthusiasm for these old work trucks.  Just goes to
prove that I married the right girl but. . . now what do I do??????

Thanks for listening. . .

Graham
2 (as of Sunday) 1946 1-1/2 ton Art Decos
"Chance is irrelevant. . . we WILL succeed"
                                                   --Seven of Nine