Re: [oletrucks] 307 engine?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 307 engine?
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:18:44 EDT
In a message dated 08/02/1999 8:03:29 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
mytruck@hehe.com writes:

<< How possible/practical is it to put a 307 Buick engine in a 1959 Chevy 1/2
 ton?  THanks, David "Tex" Carr   >>

Tex,
That depends somewhat on whether it's a 307 Chevrolet engine (4-bolts per
valve cover) or a 307 Olds (either five or ten bolts). IMHO, the 307 Olds
should work well. I'm installing a 403 (same exterior dimensions) in my '62,
and the front (side) motor mounts were the hardest thing about it. Actually,
not all that hard, since I obtained the frame mounts from the donor car (78
Bonneville). The crossmember of my truck is flatter than that of the car, so
I raised the outside of each mount with 1.5" angle iron. I wanted to use a
Chevy 350 I had lying around, so I used a TCI adapter. The original
transmission mount was long gone, so I fab'd one from rectangular tubing
(angle would also work well).
Are you going to use the original trans or the one the 307 came with? I'm a
staunch fan of automatics, and you should be able to score a 200R4
(overdrive) trans that will mate with the 307 without an adapter. That would
be my choice.
If you have any other questions about your swap, let me know. I also
installed power steering from a later model Chevrolet  and the tilt column
from the Bonneville.

Mike Jensen